Monday, November 16, 2009

Talking Points # 9

Kliewer

1. "Now we know that people with disabilities can learn and have a full, rich life. The challenge is to erase negative attitudes about people with developmental disabilities, get rid of the stereotypes and break the barriers for people with disabilities."

I do think a lot of people need to work on changing the negative attitudes they have about. Many people with disabilities are capable of doing the same things that people without disabilities can do. I don't think a lot of people see it that way though. They may learn at a different pace then we do but they are still learning and doing the best they can do.

2. " If you came into the room and were told there was a retarded child in the class, a child with special needs, i don't think you you would pick lee out. The kids really agree that he's as capable as they are. Intellectually the same."

First off, i dont like that it uses the word retarded...I learned that in my sped 300 class about usage of the word and i have changed my thoughts on that. I mean sometimes i will till say the word but caught myself right now. it really is a bad habit with using that word. I think that a lot of people need to work on that too! It can be hard because we really don't think about it that much. I really like how they say though that he is exactly the same as everyone else in the class!!!

3. "We are all just the same! Drink together, eat together, laugh contagious together....we been learning about life together."

I think this quote is just amazing. I wish everyone could see it like that..there is no difference in any person. I know it can be hard for kids to understand but i really feel like their afraid of certain things because they just don't know about them or maybe they were brought up taught being afraid.

I really liked reading this article i thought it was great!!!! Especially because my major is special education and im taking my sped 300 class so i am learning a lot of disabilities and i can relate to this now and really understand the article.

1 comment:

  1. I picked your second qoute too and the funny thing is I completely over read that it related to down syndrome as "retarded." I agree with you I dont like that at all.

    ReplyDelete