Monday, November 9, 2009

Talking Points # 8

Anyon

1. "The children had no access to materials. These were handed out by teachers and closely guarded. Things in the room "belonged" to the teacher: "Bob, bring me my garbage can.""

- It shows the difference of how students were treated depending upon their class. Things such as the way the teacher talked with the students. And the fact that they didn't trust them with the materials in the classroom. In a classroom any student should be able to have access to any of the appropriate materials.

2. " Instead, the teachers said, "Shut up," "Shut your mouth," "Open your books," "Throw your gum away-if you want to rot your teeth, do it on your own time.""

- I cant even imagine anyone talking to their students like this??! It is a horrible way of communication and it unfair to the students. If you do not respect the students they will not respect you back.

3. "Most lessons are based on the textbook. This does not involve a critical perspective on what is given there. For example, a critical perspective in social studies is perceived as dangerous by these teachers because it may lead to controversial topics; the parents might complain. The children, however, are often curious especially in social studies. Their questions are tolerated and usually answered perfunctorily. But after a few minutes the teacher will say, "All right, we're not going any farther. Please open your social studies workbook." While the teachers spend a lot of time explaining and expanding on what the textbooks say, there is little attempt to analyze how or why things happen, or to give thought to how pieces of a culture, or, say, a system of numbers or elements of a language fit together or can be analyzed."

- I can not even imagine a teacher not explaining the lesson or answering the students' questions. As a teacher you want to open the students mind with knowledge! How can a teacher really just be like alright lets not go any further?? The teacher is not doign her job she is only doing the bare minimum. Sometimes i think it is better for certain subjects to move out the textbook and can actually help the students learn more.

Overall, i really didn't enjoy reading this article. I can not believe teachers would speak to their students this way!! it makes me vbery upset to even think any teacher would do such a thing. I never had any teachers that way and i cant see why a teacher would want to be this way with her class in the first place!!

8 comments:

  1. I can relate to your post. I felt the same way reading this because I could never imagine being treated like this especially at school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys should come sit in the halls at the school I tutor in. I cannot believe some of the things the teachers say to their students! No wonder the kids tend to fight back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your response to your second quote. As a teacher, you would want to be a role model... right? When teachers say these things, they should re-evaluate their career.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your quote i could never imagine being treated like that in school. I always had wonderful teachers. If you dont want to help children learn then why be a teacher?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completly agree with what everyone said here. I was like oh my god, how can they say things like that to students. I don't understand what possess people to talk like that to children. Especially young children, because they are so young, they are bound to mess up an they shouldn't be talked to in that way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i guess that we all agree that a teacher should act like more of a teacher instead of a drill sergeant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with what you said about the second quote. I've had teachers in the past talk to me like that and some of my fellow camp counselors talk to kids like that. The kids don't like or respect them.

    ReplyDelete