Sunday, October 25, 2009

Talking Points # 6

Tim wise

- This video was great to watch. Wise had so many good points. He makes a lot of sense an can really relate to people. He is't just some close minded white person. He realizes how people really are and truly feel, he sees how things really are as well. He doesn't just think that race isn't a problem anymore because it always will be. He states that racism is a reason not an excuse. I am not really sure what he means by that is a reason not an excuse??

He talks about how work needs to still be done. Which i think is completely true. I don't think racism is completely gone. I don't think it will ever be gone. So many people are in denial about racism, he says that back in the day in the 60's white people thought people of color were equal, they were getting the same jobs the children were getting the same education as everyone else. I think the white people said that because they were not the ones going through what the people of color and different races were.

I think the relationship between the Brown v. Board of Education and the contemporary issues of race is that there will always be issues whether it is back then or now. People will always be fighting for their rights. No one is equal like we are suppose tobe in America. I tihnk back then though they worked at it even harder. What they did back then made a huge impact on what it is like today. I don't know if it would be the same as before if no one ever spoke out.

6 comments:

  1. I like what you said about the idea of equalities. I said something similar. It was interesting to think that we may not be as different from our grandparents as we think we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that by reason instead of an excuse he meant that many whites see people of color using racism as an excuse for their problems, instead of recognizing that it is the reason for their problems. I agree with your comment about people in the past being more actively involved in the solution to racial inequality. I don't think people rally behind causes like they used to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I mentioned the statistic that Wise addressed that white people in the 1960s thought that blacks had equal opportunities in education in my blog too. I though that this was incredibly rediculous! I mean, how can you stick the black students in the hall way and keep the white students in the classroom, and expect and believe that all the students will learn efficently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I take that he means that people of race dont use it an excuse for people to feel bad for them but as a reson to overcome obstacles and surpass expectations since people doubt there intellegence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree and also wrote about alot of things that you mentioned. He makes great points about how racism isn't gone just because we have a black president and that we are far from it. good post :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was unsure of what he was talking about with race as a reason too. I think Miguel is right, I never would have thought of it that way.

    ReplyDelete