Sunday, October 11, 2009

Talking Points # 4

Christensen

1. " The second handed information we receive has often been distorted, shaped by cultural stereotypes, and left incomplete..."

I felt that this quote was pertinent, especially in today's society. It's basically saying that most images and information that we receive is tainted. Almost everything that we encounter has been stereotyped and shaped by what is accepted by society.

2. "We look at the roles of women, men, people of color, and poor people play in the cartoons."

I don't think that we do this only with cartoons, but in reality, as well. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that at some point, we all have stereotyped people's roles in society. For example, many people only envision women being nurses or men have to have a masculine, rugged jobs, like construction. This also applies to stereotypes about people of color, like people of color don't have as good of jobs as people white people. It's sad that our society has come to these stereotypes, but that's the reality of it.

3. "I realize these problems weren't just in cartoons. They were in everything - every magazine I picked up, every television show I watched, every billboard I passed on the street."

This quote is so true, this distorted image of what society should look like is everywhere. We can't escape the stereotypes. The media, magazines, and billboards are perfect examples of images that influence our society's youth and set unrealistic expectations. I tihnk peopel need to open up more and stop being into all the stereotypes and realize people are more than that.

I felt that the reading was kinda hard to read, it was repetitive. It was too wordy. It was about distorted society. I think people just need to work on being more open up to people and who they really are. Poeple need to get to know one another before judging. It is so frustrating when people just say whatever they want about whoever when they don't even know the person at all!! I know everyone can be judgmental at some point but i tihnk that is what peopel need to really work on the most!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your first quote and response. I really hate how women are portrayed. Especially in cartoons and movies. I mean we have gotten a little bit better with women being leading charaters in adult shows but it's still not seen as much in childrens shows. The man is always the tough masculine one who has the job and the money. The women seem to only be there for the men, as sex objects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a shame that everyone in the class could be given at least one stereotype... And it doesn't help when trying to diminish these when in all aspects of society they are portrayed and viewed by every individual.

    ReplyDelete