Monday, October 19, 2009

Talking Points # 5

Kahne and Westheimer

1. "In contrast, much of the current discussion regarding service learning emphasizes charity, not change."

- I dont know if i can really agree with this. I know when you donate or do service learning acts, you're not changing the world, but you are changing someone's life when you help out even when it is little things to you. It's something big for someone else. I don't think people realize sometimes how much it means to people when you do kind things for them. I think it is one of best deeds to do is to give.

2. "Moral domain: giving and caring."

- I think this caught my attention because of the meaning of it. It is so important to give and care. I dont think people realize how it affects others. When people give and show that they care it can get them very far in life i believe.

3 " Mr. Johnson's students gave their time and energy to help individuals and groups in need, either directly (e.g., the student who helped patients in a hospital find their appointment locales) or indirectly (e.g., preparing survival kits for the homeless.)"

- The reason why i picked this is because when i was in high school I did this every year. I made baskets for thanksgiving and Christmas. It was a great feeling especially when we delivered them to the families ourselves. They were so grateful and it just made the holidays so much better! Just doing a little something for people can make a big difference.

The reading for me was really boring. It was one of the hardest for me to sit and read and actually focus on it. I found myself reading the same sentences over and over again. I did like the message it was sending to the reader though. I think service learning is a great thing and every student should do it at least once! Me and my best friend donated clothes to a homeless shleter in providence and we talked to the guy who ran it and he said we drop it off at the office and when he gets to the office at night all the clothes that were dropped off are already gone. I couldn't even believe that. Sometimes we don't even realize how much people need certain things because we are use to having them all the time. It is a very sad thing.

1 comment:

  1. GIven your first quote, did our class discussion on Charity and CHange help you flesh out these ideas?

    ReplyDelete